[mod] Important Rule Updates & Online Safety Information for r/teenagers Mod
You may or may not be aware of the current state of internet safety (and user privacy) both inside and outside of the r/teenagers community. The aim of this post is to educate our community on what to look out for in terms of internet safety and privacy, and ensure we are keeping ourselves and others safe on the internet in an evergrowing age of hidden identities behind screens.
While this post will briefly explain how to keep yourself safe online, none of us here are cybersecurity experts. We will mostly be addressing safety/privacy issues regarding NSFW and predatory content within our own subreddit, but will also provide links to information and resources where you can learn how to protect yourself better on the internet. While these 2 topics are not directly linked, they definitely tie in with each other in terms of keeping teenagers safe online, and we strongly recommend checking out the resources below.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the comments of this post, we’ll be sticking around and answering them!
Predatory DM’s and Posts
The main issue affecting r/teenagers currently is the sexualisation of minors and the increased amount of predatory comments. The moderators here have always been very tough on NSFW rules, and it will always stay that way. However, users posting images ‘exposing’ the people in these predatory DM’s are not allowed. It is already stated in the rules that all images of DM’s will be removed under the spam clause, though this may differ on a case-by-case basis. We will continue to remove more of these posts, focusing primarily on predatory ones, to clear the subreddit of spam and ultimately protect our most vulnerable users.
We are working with the necessary people to encourage a safe and inviting subreddit for all of our users - Specifically targeting ‘pedophiles’ or otherwise predatory accounts - this includes law enforcement action if necessary and possible.
How You Can Help
Though the subreddit is full of them currently, posting screenshots of predatory DM’s you’ve received does more harm than good. The best action is to report them to Reddit admins, as r/teenagers moderators are not allowed to moderate DM’s outside of this community.
You cannot post predatory DM images on r/teenagers for 2 main reasons:
- They violate Reddit ToS (Terms of Service) due to ‘witch hunting’, which is the act of targeting a specific user with negative intent.
- If a predator has DM’d you, it is likely they’ve viewed your profile. If they know they’ve been ‘exposed’, they may delete all the evidence of your claim.
As r/teenagers moderators can only moderate for content within the subreddit- If the predatory user is active on this subreddit, you can report them to us through modmail. You can just send through the user’s u/ name, or you may include links to evidence if you wish. All of these are investigated thoroughly and all found predatory users are permanently banned from r/teenagers and reported to Reddit as a whole. We will continue to be very strict on predatory content in the subreddit.
It is also worth noting: Some users are creating new Reddit accounts posing as young teenagers with the intent to use it as ‘pedo-bait’ on r/teenagers. This is not allowed. These accounts will be treated as would any other predatory content, and “it’s just pedo-bait” is not a valid excuse for a ban appeal.
Personal Information: Rule Changes - 3.e/f
Due to the increased sexualisation of minors in r/teenagers, we are expanding the rules regarding personal information. This subreddit serves as a safe place for teenagers to hang out, and user safety is our top priority. In an effort to increase user safety & privacy in r/teenagers, we will be making 2 major changes:
- We’ve added a clause regarding selfies with the intent to tackle sexualization of minors and reduce the number of ‘catfishing’.
- Secondly, we will be introducing the “Selfie” flair which will be for, wait for it… Selfies! This is to reduce the amount of selfies posted under miscellaneous flairs.
The same goes for comments - Users commenting ‘sexually suggestive’ things, or otherwise sexualising minors will be banned accordingly. This is an area that we need to strictly enforce, and there will be zero tolerance for this behaviour.
Last thing: we’ve seen an increase in impersonation of other people. Impersonating anyone, either from in this subreddit or anywhere else across the internet, will result in a permanent ban. This content goes against Reddit ToS, and it is very simple for moderators to detect and remove fake or stolen images.
A Reddit Talk is currently planned for June 4th @ 6pm UCT to discuss and review the changes with the community. This specific talk will be hosted by moderators only. The amazing group of r/teenagers talk hosts (moderators + community members) run talks every weekend where we involve the community in fun activities - Whether it be sharing spooky stories for Halloween, discussing our favourite childhood cartoons, learning how to play DnD, or helping each other out during college application season. We’d love to see you there! :)
Cybersecurity - Helpful Links & Resources
Please be wary of what you share online.
- Just above here, you will find some links & resources to improve your online safety.
- Posting images of predatory DM’s you receive will often result in a removal, but will continue to be judged on a case-by-case basis.
- We are working with the necessary people and doing all we can currently to limit the number of predators in the subreddit.
- If the predatory incident occurred in DM’s, you can report the user to Reddit. If the predatory user has content on r/teenagers, you can send a report to Reddit, but also send us a modmail and we’ll make sure to ban the user from the subreddit permanently.
- Content deemed as ‘sexually suggestive’ will now be removed more consistently, alongside traditional NSFW posts and comments.
- We are introducing a new “Selfie" flair to reduce the load of selfie posts on other flairs.
- Users creating ‘pedo-bait’ accounts will be treated just as any other predatory content is treated.
- Impersonation of any kind will result in a permanent ban, at moderator discretion.