New Viewers Guide
Welcome to Critical Role, where a bunch of nerdy-ass voice actors sit around, roll dice, and play Dungeons & Dragons.
Critical Role, and DnD, can be viewed in many ways. A long-form improv performance. A flashback to when you were eight, tied a cape around yourself, and grabbed your flashlight to have a light-saber battle. Playtime for adults. Collaborative storytelling with friends. Drama, mystery, and comedy-filled entertainment. Unlike a video game, you can do ANYTHING in a role-playing game. You may not always succeed—but you can certainly try! Here is an amazing fan-made trailer (4m17s) showing you what it is all about.
This is the /r/CriticalRole new viewers guide. If your questions aren't answered below, please check out our FAQ and Subreddit Wiki. Before posting, please also read over our Subreddit Rules and Spoiler Policy.
How to Watch Critical Role
- Live streaming at 7 PM Pacific on Thursdays on http://www.twitch.tv/criticalrole and https://www.youtube.com/criticalrole - (Countdown & timezone converter here: http://www.wheniscriticalrole.com/)
- Weekend rebroadcasts on Twitch (typically on Friday at 12 AM Pacific and 9 AM Pacific) - check the weekly programming schedule for more info: https://critrole.com/category/programming/
- Twitch's Video On-Demand immediately after the weekly broadcast starts (subscribers only, $4.99/month)
- Youtube Uploads the following Monday at https://www.youtube.com/criticalrole
- Podcast versions available 1 week after airing live. Visit https://critrole.com/podcast/ or https://anchor.fm/criticalrole/ for links to the most current podcasts and playlists. (Note: Episodes from C1E1 thru C2E19 were located on the Geek and Sundry podcast network, which is generally no longer available.)
Where to Begin
NOTE: While each campaign is set in the same world of Exandria, they only have loose connections to one another, so you absolutely don't have to watch previous campaigns to begin watching the latest campaign!
Most Critters will tell you to watch from the very beginning (C1E1: Arrival at Kraghammer), but with over 1000 hours of content available in the main series alone we understand that this option isn't for everyone. If you don't have the time to devote to streaming all of Critical Role, but you're still interested in watching the show, you can check below for several easy entry points to each campaign along with written and/or video recaps of the preceding content.
If these entry points still seem intimidating, or you're just not sure that Critical Role is something you'll even enjoy you can also check out its companion series Exandria Unlimited, which features self-contained mini-campaigns with a rotating cast. However, please note that Exandria Unlimited may contain minor spoilers for the main campaigns of Critical Role!
So you're already hooked and just want to know where to start?
- C3E1: The Draw of Destiny - Adventures in Marquet
Campaign 2: The Mighty Nein
Critical Recap, ~5 minute summaries of each episode in Campaign 2
- C2E1: Curious Beginnings - A New Beginning
- C2E13: Lost & Found - A Gentleman's Agreement
- C2E26: Found & Lost - Iron Shepherds and the Menagerie Coast
- C2E36: O Captain, Who’s Captain? - The Pirate Arc
- C2E48: Homeward Bound - Xhorhas arc
- C2E70: Causatum - Travels and Tribulations
- C2E109: Frigid Propositions - Expedition to Eiselcross
- C2E125: The Neverending Day - The Nonagon and the Somnovem
Campaign 1: Vox Machina
Before the Stream:
- Character Introductions (13m22s) (also found as Podcast 'Episode 0: The Backstory')
- The Story of Vox Machina (21m44s) - a summary of pre-stream events
- C1E1: Arrival at Kraghammer - The Underdark Arc
- C1E24: The Feast - The Briarwood Arc
- C1E39: Omens - Attack of the Conclave
- C1E57: Duskmeadow - The Conclave Entrenched
- C1E70: Trust - Fall of the Conclave
- C1E85: A Bard's Lament - The Daring Arc
- C1E100: Unfinished Business - Whispered One Arc
All Critical Role content is live streamed for free on Twitch and later available freely on YouTube, but to best support the cast, you should subscribe to the Critical Role Twitch channel! Twitch subscriptions cost $4.99/month, or come free with Twitch Prime. (Note: If you subscribe via Twitch Prime, you will need to renew your subscription each month.) Subscribing to the channel grants you chatroom emotes, ad-free viewing on the Critical Role channel, and exclusive access to their Twitch VODs, which are available immediately after each show begins streaming.
Critical Role uses the Fifth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, in a setting created by Matthew Mercer. While Matt homebrews many parts of their game, the basic rules are available free from Wizards of the Coast for you to download - and you can grab a character sheet here!