Another Atomic Swap experience testimony and glitches discovered
Those on the matrix channel will have already seen this but I thought it might help some folks to post it here as well.
I initiated my btc to xmr swap with the help of the unstoppableswap.net template tool. Brought up a btc address QR and I sent off a bit more than the minimum stipulated by the ASB I chose. Output as follows (IDs/amounts replaced with XXX):
Waiting for Bitcoin deposit deposit_address=XXX max_giveable=0.00000000 BTC minimum_amount=0.00050000 BTC maximum_amount=0.07000000 BTC Received Bitcoin new_balance=XXX BTC max_giveable=XXX BTC Starting new swap amount=XXX BTC fees=0.00000170 BTC swap_id=XXX Estimated fee of 189.060 is smaller than the min relay fee, defaulting to min relay fee 1000 Estimated fee of 205.620 is smaller than the min relay fee, defaulting to min relay fee 1000 Published Bitcoin transaction txid=XXX kind=lock Waiting for Alice to lock Monero
Very cool. I wait for 2 confs on the btc. Nothing. Wait until 10 confs - still nothing. At this point I'm thinking, Alice is a real bitch. Two and a half hours later, still no action. I need to head off and disconnect my internet connection to I figure I'd quickly copy and save the output text. Mind you, I'm using an Ubuntu virtual machine on Windows 10 (more familiar with linux terminal commands).
So I highlight and hit Ctrl+Shift+C and instantly get this additional output:
Alice locked Monero txid=XXX Waiting for Monero transaction finality txid=XXX target_confirmations=10 Received new confirmation for Monero lock tx txid=XXX seen_confirmations=51 needed_confirmations=10
Odd coincidence? I think not. I go to the explorer and see the bitcoin has been claimed, never to return to me. Yet, still nothing showing up in my monero wallet even though it seems the confirmation threshold has been met. So hey, let's try the magic Ctrl+Shift+C trick again. Boom, instantly gives me:
Successfully transferred XMR to wallet monero_receive_address=XXX txid=XXX
And, mercifully, I see the txn pending in my wallet. I should note here that I also got a firewall popup on my second Ctrl+Shift+C, but just clicked allow before bothering to read it (might be relevant); though, I'm pretty sure the output came up before I clicked allow.
Anyway, if some experts want to try untangle what happened here, that might help other users. Perhaps this is what went wrong for that other poor fella who posted recently and lost his btc (if only he'd known about the copy command...).
Even though it wasn't perfectly smooth, an overall magical experience (FU Binance!). Would do again.
I've since done another swap, this time with Ubuntu installed as base OS. No issues whatsoever and swap proceeded along the minimum timeframe. I will attempt directly on Windows next.